Monday, December 04, 2017

Coconut's Fish Cafe in Maui, Hawaii

Fish Tacos

So apparently fish tacos were brought to Hawaii by surfers from California. But here, they aren't those wonderfully battered ones from Baja, but grilled instead. And this shop at Azeka Plaza (1279 South Kihei Road, 808-875-9979) got a whopping 27 rating on Zagat for theirs, so I figured I'd give it a try.

I didn't like it at all. It was supposed to feature two types of fish and a barrage of toppings, but the fish was cut too thickly to be enjoyable, and the garnishes on top didn't get me excited either, even if it was well-balanced. The only thing I really liked was the coarse corn tortilla, but I think I'll wait for my next run to Ensenada instead.

Epilogue: I just realized after looking at their webpage that they have locations in Cupertino and Scottsdale! #facepalm

No comments: