Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Peter Luger Steak House in Brooklyn, New York



Last time I was in Brooklyn, I couldn't get into this place because of the huge line (178 Broadway, 718-387-7400). It was largely filled with tourists from what I could see, which made me think twice about coming here today. Still, this is a one Michelin-starred institution bearing praise from the likes of Zagat and the James Beard Foundation, so I had to at least give it a try.

It's definitely a unique place. It's in an old German-style wooden beer hall, it's cash only, and the only cut of beef on their menu is their porterhouse (you only choose the size depending on the number of people you have). They bring it out to you pre-sliced and sizzling in butter.

The good thing was that the fat was tasty and plentiful, with the charred edges being the best. But mine wasn't very evenly cooked, and some parts of the steak were rather difficult to eat too. Really, Michelin? I suppose it does have character, but I won't be going back. Or if I do, it would be for lunch so that I can try their burger or prime rib.

1 comment:

Mervin said...

On my last visit, the majority of the queue are Asian tourists.

What is great about Peter Luger is the 'charm' of the wait staff, which is lacking at places like Wolfgang's