Monday, June 19, 2017

Lupulo in Chelsea, New York City

Bulhão Pato Clams

This Portuguese place wouldn't have been my first choice after flying over 24 hours door to door (835 6th Avenue, 212-290-7600). But it was raining tonight and I didn't have an umbrella, and these guys were right around the corner from the hotel. Plus, they had a counter with beers on tap, not to mention small plates on the menu.

The food was fine, like those clams above, as well as some local oysters and a plate of fava beans. But the cooking could've been a bit edgier too, even with just another pinch or two of salt or a drizzle of their punchy olive oil. I kept forgetting that I'm in the US too, so "small plates" were relative to America. Well, I liked the local beers on tap at least, and I'm looking forward to seeing what else I can find around here later in the week.

No comments: