Thursday, June 22, 2017

Louis' Lunch in New Haven, Connecticut

Hamburger

The other and perhaps bigger reason why I came all the way out to New Haven was for Louis' Lunch (261 Crown Street, 203-562-5507), allegedly the birthplace of the American hamburger. Yep, that hamburger used sliced bread and was shoved into some very medieval-looking panini press-like grills.

I liked it more than I thought I would. In many ways, it was a hamburger for purists, as you weren't overwhelmed with a taste of a bun or special sauce or anything like that. Instead, it was just some good charbroiled ground beef, salt, and onions, with just a little bit of bread and tomato to accentuate it. Plus, some of that local white birch beer was delicious with it too.

I don't know if I'll come here again though as there's hardly any seating in here (probably no more than 15 or 20 seats?). I got here just five minutes after they opened, and even then there was a good wait. Having said that though, it is a pretty cool little venue with these old wooden seats and booths. I'm glad I finally made it down here, especially given the odd operating hours that they have.

No comments: