Thursday, June 22, 2017

Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana in New Haven, CT

White Clam Apizza

I took a train out to New Haven, Connecticut because I wanted to try the local pizza or "apizza" as they call it here. What was so unique about it? Well, a lot of it was the thin and crunchy crust, which was almost intentionally a bit dry and burnt, carrying with it a slightly smoky aroma. It also tends to lack cheese unless you explicitly ask for it.

This shop (157 Wooster Street, 203-865-5762) in particular is also famous for this white clam pizza, which gave it a bit of savoriness, even if I forgot to ask them to add bacon. The other surprise was the dried red chili peppers that actually packed a reasonable amount of heat, unlike many places back in New York. I still prefer a more traditionally chewy Neapolitan crust, but I'm happy that I made the trek all the way out here.

1 comment:

tery said...

This is twice now that we seem to somehow end up at the same restaurant at almost the same time! And I don't even know what you look like... I was at Hamburg Steak Keisuke on the same day you posted your blog entry and now I can't believe this, but I was also at Frank Pepe Apizza in New Haven on 22nd June, Thursday for lunch at about 1130am!!!

We should just have lunch sometime. I love your blog and honest take on what you eat. I work in the Tanjong Pagar area as well!

-Terence-